How happy am I, lovely workshop with all my tools in one place, now I can get on and make things… From wood!!! One of my friends gave me some tomato plants the other day:
I have not got any spare plant pots and there are four plants here. I will make a planter for them, I have some left over decking from the workshop base I built, perfect. This was a really simple build, a lovely first project to use my workshop. I decided what size I wanted the planter based on the size of the deck pieces I had, picked a really easy size to measure, mark and cut then decided to make the end panels a bit smaller to give a rectangular shape. It was going to be two decking panels high. I arranged the panels a few different ways before choosing the final layout. I decided on the over lap as I thought this looked nice.
Now to join the panels, a great opportunity to use my KReg pocket hole Jig (love using new tools). I read the instructions and set up the jig, I had watched April Wilkerson using a KReg pocket hole jig on YouTube before, she uses a PH jig to join most of her projects, the big advantages are that the joints are strong and hidden on the inside. It was very easy to use, drilled the holes perfectly. The pocket hole screws also went in easily. I built the first rectangle then the second, I used pocket hole screws in the front and rear panels to join the two rectangles together.
The base… I pondered this for a while (coffee time). I eventually chose to use two pieces of decking cut to size screwed to the base (pilot holes first). This base would then rest on the ground and hopefully stop the planter from standing in the wet and rotting, I also thought this would give a strong base for the planter as it will contain quite a large amount of compost.
Lining, I had been thinking of this project since I was given the tomato plants, during my shopping trips for timber I searched for some pond liner or similar to line the planter, I couldn’t find anything. I ended up using a couple of bin liners. I figured the tomato plants would only last this season so at the end of the year I could empty it and reline it next year. I staple the liner to secure it inside the planter. I was really pleased with it, it looked lovely… And I had made it… Wow how cool!